Monday, July 2, 2012

REST! Getcha Some

My last post was written while on a true high from my AdvoCare 24 Day Challenge results!  Still very excited about those results!

Last week I spent on the beaches of Florida. Aaahhh!  A week spent in the sun, clear water and white sand.

Beach Burpee with my little man!

I was able to fully relax and take a much needed break from what has been a very busy summer.  Coming back to reality is always a total culture shock!  Especially when one of the air conditioners is your house decides to quit cooling.....in July..... in Texas.

The week before we left I did something that I have not done in months - WOD three days in a row.  One of these days included Tabata Thrusters - who comes up with Tabata Thrusters?!?!?!  MM, that's who!  I forgot how truly taxing that is on your body.  Rest is such an important part of CrossFit.  The demands we put on our muscles and central nervous system by being CrossFitters are huge!  If we do not give our bodies adequate rest, injuries begin showing up, inflammation becomes an issue, and general burn out is on the horizon.

Think about it this way - why do you CrossFit?  I do it because I want to live a stupid crazy long time, I want to be the fittest I can be, I want to be healthier than I was yesterday, I love being strong and picking up heavy things.  I do it because I love myself enough to invest in my own health and well being.  If you continuously work at the high intensity of CrossFit WOD's, your body is going to fight back at some point.  Who wants to be sidelined for a long stretch of time with an injury?  At CrossFit Champions (CFC) I am know for my grace - which often leaves me with broken bones.  They don't call me Bubble Wrap for nothing!  *(NOTE:  name has been changed to Cornholio due to my impersonation of Beavis as The Great Cornholio, but I will also answer to the name of Frankie Pancakes)  Where was I going with this, oh yes, it really sucks to NOT be able to do a WOD.  I know from several experiences.

This is what happens when you are not paying attention when you put your dumbbells down.


By rest - I don't mean you have to be a goddess on a beach for a week (hee hee) but listen to how you are feeling.  Are you able to put 120% into your WOD if you workout 3 times a week instead of 5 times?  On the days you are not at your box, do you do fun outdoor activities with your spouse, your kids or your dogs?  Use your time outside of the box to strengthen your mind and your soul and your relationships with those you love.

And Now Some Bacon........

So, while shopping in Downtown Fort Walton Beach, I came across this bakery and their cupcake flavor of the day.  Bacon AND Pancakes?!?!?!?!!!!  HOLY YUM!  I did not eat one.  Now I'm wishing I had.  Oh well.


2 comments:

  1. Yay you on your will power but dang...bacon pancake cupcakes?!! Maybe we should attempt a gluten free version, cuz lord knows bacon added to paleo chocolate chip cookies takes them up to a whole other level. Hmmm...we do have cooked bacon in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete